Saturday, March 25, 2006

MORE DISCO


These are the last two pictures of the Disco, and I think I'm settled enough now to put together a semi coherent post. Maybe. After all the hysteria on Monday about the wire transfer, the bank called on Tuesday and said that it had arrived. But I repeat myself. First thing Wednesday morning I hauled ass into the bank and transferred enough $s into shekels to pay for the car and took enough cash to cover all my debts and to sort Orna. I was so out of it that I handed everything over to her and went to the Post Ofice to Western Union Leia's money to her. I had already told her to expect it and that I would text her the details, but as the forms have teeny tiny printing and I only had my outside glasses and not my proper reading glasses, I had to wait until I got home to send the details.Note to self: Put spare pair of reading glasses in car. After sending the W.U. Orna and I raced out to Rami to buy the Disco. He was waiting and told us that he'd tried to find me all evening because some poor jerk from Haifa was busting his chops wanting to buy *my* Disco and he just wanted to make sure I was really and truly buying it. I very patiently explained that, yes, I am buying it and that having told him so the previous evening, it was a done deal. We did the deal and his wife and office manager called my bank to be sure the check wouldn't bounce. Of course she got a great big ok, and we moved on to deal with the insurance. I owed the insurance company the third party insurance premium from the Cit'ruin' because Mordy messed it up. I'd told the agent I'd cover it by Sunday, but, as I had to insure the Disco, and we could just add the difference to the old policy, sent Rami with the cash for both, and I had compulsory and third party insurance within half an hour, and the old one paid off. The only snag was that the local DMV office is closed on account of the gal who runs it is on strike because the idiot who pays her salary just happens to be our mayor and he hasn't paid her for 3 or 4 months, so no transfer of ownership or new gimp parking card on the new plate number, but I can drive the car, as I have the bill of sale, and can use the old parking card as it has my ID number on it and I don't intend to let the car far enough out of my sight for that to be an issue. With paperwork, and insurance firmly in hand, I sent Orna off grocery shopping and followed Rami to the local (20 minutes away) LR garage for a step to be installed to help me get in if for some idiot reason I don't park next to a kerb. It took what seemed like forever, but, at last, I drove away ginning madly and in possession of a Land Rover thermal coffee cup. Not wanting to go straight home, I went to Safad to give Striar the rest of what I owed him from the trip he made to Petach Tikvah and to show off a bit. When I got home I still didn't want to get out of the Disco, so Orna, Danny and Taliah, their oldest, piled in a we went off for a celebratory supper at a restaurant about 3 kliks out of town. Of course I insisted on placing my chair so I could admire the car. We had a nice meal (my first of the day. Forgot to take my meds in the morning too!) and after a bit of insanity with the alarm code, went home. I was still hyper enough to stay awake until the end of the World Figure Skating Championships, then fell into a coma until morning. MORNING! Time to go to the bank and organize my credit limits and get a bit back on Mordy. He actually had the nerve to imply that I was delusional about that much money coming in, in spite of having seen the documents. Ooops. After deducting the check for the car I had 73,000 left in the account. Before leaving the bank, I drove up to Mordy's office and asked him very sweetly to please check my balance. There are no words to describe the look on his face when he saw it. It's too bad there's no picture of it, except for the one indelibly branded in my memory! I paid the ambulance and fire/rescue bills and went to the insurance guy whose attitude underwent such a change. It's one thing to insure a 1988 Cit'ruin' and another entirely to insure a 2000 Land Rover Discovery that was paid for with a check/cash. Sending Rami to pay him the day before was a stroke of accidental genius. He was perfectly happy to take a check for the comprehensive insurance. Now all I have to do is get one more level of protection added and all will be well. I'll do that on Sunday morning. I went to my cell phone place and bought their GPS kit and a hands free phone thing that will be installed on Monday. Then, I took the Disco for a drive. It's not a usual car that you just get in and drive. It has all kinds of stuff that should be learned. And the power steering is a bit twitchy. I really don't like power steering, but just the thought of driving that without it is not pleasant. I'll get the steering soon. I got home from my drive just in time to collapse in bed and catch World's, then go out to take pictures of the Disco from all sides, then to Orna and Danny's for Shabbat dinner, then home for more skating. I woke up this morning at 0530 convinced that it was Sunday, only to realize that it was Shabbat, tried to write a post with no success, calmed down, and am trying again. I'll probably go for a ride tonight, depending on the skating schedule, then tomorrow, lots of stuff to do. That pretty much covers things up to now. I think it's time to take a shower, go relax in bed with the local papers. I've been thinking a lot about how odd it was that I bought a pile of stickers for the Cit'ruin' in Swansea but didn't put them on it. They are now proudly on the Disco. This is THE CAR. It would have driven away from that accident with no more than a dent or two.

No comments: