Saturday, November 26, 2005

SOURDOUGH

It's been a few decades since I've bothered to bake bread. The bread here is actually quite good, so I quit making it back in the early 80s. It always felt a bit odd not to be baking bread twice a week like I used to back in Maine. This heart attack nonsense has motivated me to start again. I have no doubt that the attack was result of all the stress back in September and the fact that I pitched my semi macrobiotic diet out the window and went wild on things I hadn't eaten since I don't know when, like butter and fatty lamb and beef. No more. I'm back on my semi macro diet and am getting ready for weekly bread baking. I've got a sourdough starter bubbling away in the pantry and it will be ready to use on Monday.
Orna's sister in law dragged her to a guy in Safad who dabbles in natural healing, and I told her exactly what he would tell her! She is now into this new healthy food thing with me. We are both getting compliments on how much better and thinner we look. Of course it will take me longer to lose what has to go because I am much fatter than she is, but we are on the right track. She already feels better and is quite pleased.
We are going to be doing the bread project together. She found a bakery that does some very nice whole wheat rolls for 1 shekel each. Ok, that might be cheaper than baking them at home, but, we can fancy them up ourselves, and play with different flours. I also have found my prized copy of the definitive rye bread recipe, and can't wait to make it.
It(the recipe) was lost for years, but turned up in an old recipe notebook one fine day. That will be the second bread we make. The first will be some whole wheat rolls for freezing.
I also figured out what that second incident of chest pain was that landed me back in the hospital for two days. It couldn't have been because I didn't take those pills, like they said, because after they let me out, the first thing I did was get those pills and promptly put them in the drug drawer and forget about them! I only discovered them when I had to refill my drug box and they were all there in the package, and I never had so much as a twinge. I am taking them now, but have come to the conclusion that the pain was some form of rejection. I'm seeing a cardiac guy on Monday and will run it by him. Human bodies don't come with preinstalled stents, so it makes sense that my brilliant body tried to reject the stent. Someone really should give me an MD degree, based on experience alone!
It's a beautiful warm day so I think I'll go sit outside and enjoy the sun for a while.

No comments: