Tuesday, November 22, 2005

HERE WE GO AGAIN

I ended up staying in yesterday as Harley Too isn't feeling right. Orna came over early and did the dishes, then ran home because they came to install her cable phone. I spent a while at the computer, then settled myself in bed to watch Charmed. Towards the end of the show, there was some thunder, which I love. There's nothing like a big loud noisy thunder storm. I love them. It wasn't long before the sound of thunder turned into the sound of mortar shells and katyushas. In the 15 years I've lived in this town there was never such a sustained barrage of any kind. It just went on and on. It took a while and a phone call from Achy for me to figure that *they* were shooting at us and not the other way around. Incoming sounds pretty much like outgoing from this distance. Those sneaky hezba'loonies' used the thunder as cover for their attack. After a while they switched from mortars to katyushas and things got a bit insane. Knowing how freaked Orna gets by katyushas, I called her and told her to get over here and into my shelter/*liberry* with her kids. They came right over and we turned on the TV in there and put in some chairs, then we went to the living room to smoke. After a few minutes, other neighbors started knocking on my door looking for shelter. The neighborhood shelters were locked and Army Jeeps were driving around with loudspeakers telling people to go to the shelters. They forgot to mention that the shelters were locked! By the time they got this neighborhood shelter open there were 10 people standing in my shelter and 4 kids sitting on the available chairs. After everyone left to go to the newly opened shelter, I got back into bed to watch TV and listen to the noise outside. It went on for hours, and helicopters and planes joined in.
The timing couldn't have been better. Our government is non existent for all intents and purposes. Whiskers (Amir Peretz) election as head of the Labour party brought about an abrupt end to Sharon's coalition of corruption, and Sharon's announcement that he is forming a break away party with all his corrupt cronies, was as good a go ahead signal as any to Nassralla. The thunderstorm also helped. For once the army was ready and had been on a high alert up here as a result of good intelligence. It's so typical that our idiot local dimwits were caught totally unprepared. With any luck local heads will roll. Our local criminal elected officials are all under investigation for a variety of no nos. They must think that if Sharon's hench men get away with it, they can too. Our mayor and at least half of the city council spend more time in interrogation rooms than they do in town, along with some senior clerks and other over paid functionaries. It's quiet now, but I wonder how long it will last. Never mind the explosions, it's the non stop phone calls that get me. Not that I don't appreciate the sentiment behind them, it's tiring telling everyone the same thing. I think maybe for the next time I'll pre-record all the rote answers. Saying the same thing 20 times gets boring. I think Cab/Kiri Two Legs was more shaken by it than I was, her being in Indo and all. I kind of didn't send a coherent text when things got insane at Gimp House with the flood of refugees and phone calls. I'd best go reassure her now.

No comments: