Saturday, May 05, 2007

POWER OUTAGES ETC.

Things were going along nice and easy today, when all of a sudden the electrickery went off. No biggie. It just means no interweb, no fan, no TV, no nothing. And of course no phones and my cell was just about out of juice. There was just enough left to call Orna to find out if it was just me, or everyone. It was everyone, and she told me they were working on it and the power would be back in an hour and a half or so. It was back within a half hour. The electrickery company will never know how lucky they were that the power wasn't cut at the local stadium! It was only off in the two neighborhoods next to it. Yeah, they can play football without power, but what about the scoreboard and press? Yup, damn lucky.
Tomorrow I'm off to see Etty and Yaacov at last. But first I have to get my hair cut. There's a tradition that during the 7 weeks between Passover and Shavuot we don't cut our nails and hair. Men don't shave. Except for on Lag 'b Omer which is tonight and tomorrow. Google it if you want to know what it is! There have been so many years that I forgot to chop of my nails that I was chuffed to have remembered this year. I did however forget to get my hair cut and I hate it when it blows in my face while driving. It's not quite long enough for anything other than a cap to keep it back and driving with a cap is just another annoyance. I've decided to leave the back alone and just get the top chopped.
I've already hacked my nails back to my elbow, so that's out of the way.
After the great hair chop, I'll hop in the jeep and stop at the garage to have the oil checked and make an appointment to have it's 40 thousand kilometer work done. Then, straight to Nazareth.
BBC Prime is confused. I set the TIVO to record one of my house programs but instead a Top Gear episode turned up. That's just fine as Jeremy Clarckson is my hero.
And that reminds me; there's a new Disco in town with a snorkel. Humph! Where did he come from? No winch, no projector, no tow hook, just a snorkel. Copy cat. And he's white, not silver. Humph! And I bet he doesn't have a DVD with a camera too. Humph. Copy cat. And worst of all, it's a new one. Not a proper Series II. Humph!
Oh, Lord, are those football nutters ever going to stop honking and go home to let us have some peace and quiet? Not that it will bother me much, after all I'm the one who sleeps through katyusha attacks! What's a little honking? Let the children have their fun.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Power outs: Its only funny afterwards. We have frequent ones in my place. (a lot of woods and old lines) So I kept the gen out ready all winter long this time in the Northeast. One time I went to start it and the power came back. (my luck) It is a good insurance policy, I guess. If I put it back, look out! It was almost an expected weekly thing, till I got it ready that is
The phone rarely goes with though. Sure it wasn’t hizzie related? Top Gear, another unknown?

Purplegimp said...

true, you never do know for sure with them, but they'd have to penetrate pretty far in to do it.
I think this time they weren't involved.

Purplegimp said...

Top Gear-only the greatest British car show on TV.

Anonymous said...

(TG)I can't understand the lack of mention of it here. Quite the attraction in UK. Maybe they are working on another version here (and want it to seem an original idea)?

Purplegimp said...

It's no surprise to me that Americans don't know Top Gear. They rarely say anything positive about American cars. Even Jeremy's personal Ford GTO became a running joke on the show and he loves that car.
Our TV smart asses made a similar show in Hebrew. It hurts to watch a show where you know more than the presenter!
It's well worth trying to find the Top Gear clips on You Tube.