Monday, September 11, 2006

YAACOV"S BRAIN

I don't have all that many good friends over here, but the ones I do have are the best. Back in the Dark Ages, when I lived in Upper Nazareth, Etti and Yaacov were good friends and they are the only people from there that I am still in touch with. It was their son's greenhouse we went to and almost got blasted to smithereens by that missile during the war.
Etti called last night to tell me that Yaacov is in the Neurosurgery ward at Rambam Hospital in Haifa with a possibly malignant tumor in his brain. Ever since I met them back in the 1980s he's suffered from severe headaches and nothing was ever found. According to Etti he has a tumor and the 2 remaining questions are: is it malignant and is it operable? As I'm going to Haifa anyway today, I called Shmaryah and told him that I will be taking off as and when Etti calls. This morning when I woke up, I decided that until things are clear, I'll be going to Rambam every other day. It's real simple. These people have been my family pretty much since the day we met. There's also the fact that Etti needs an anchor. She has a bit of a psychiatric history and this is not going to be easy for her no matter which it goes.
I now have to get dressed, go to the bank, do a few things with Lavana-Shmaryah's wife, whose flower shop I'm adding to my "business empire" get home by 1100 for the TIVO, get ready to go to Haifa with Lavana to by potted plants and visit Etti and Yaacov at Rambam. Yes, it's going to a long day, but, needs must.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your frined.