Tuesday, January 26, 2010

MORE LUCK OF THE DUMB!

I must admit that those DVTs were more than a little scary and I'm not really surprised that it took me as long as it did to come up with the logical solution. After the first DVT was diagnosed in Rambam Hospital in Haifa, I should have asked to go to B'nei Zion (Formerly Rothdchild Hospital) also in Haifa. The vascular surgeon there is one of the top two in that field in the country. In fact, he did my rotor rooter a few years ago. His #2 guy is the other one. After finally sitting myself down and giving myself a stern talking to, I decided that I really should get echo Doppler ultrasounds done on my legs and insisted on doing it at the diagnostic center in that hospital because he is the one who reads the tests and signs off on them. After days and days of torrential rain and cold I woke up to a day of a few clouds and much cold. At last. Time to go out. After getting all layered up, I took off on Harley to check my mail box. In it I found the most beautiful purple shawl, a ring with a purple stone, and a very cute key chain that a fellow stroke survivor sent me. Treasures to be sure.
Then, it was off to the clinic to get a refill on the oxy. Dontcha know? Get rid of one pain and another takes it's place. The only thing I can think of is that my left leg is jealous of my right leg, and is now making unreasonable demands on management. Ok. So, I'll feed it oxy. While waiting for my doc to finish with the patient who was already with him, I looked through the stack of mail and found the results from the echo Doppler. When the doc came out to get my card and ask what I needed, I handed it to him before I finished reading it. He came back out all smiles to announce that no evidence of DVTs was found. Those are moments when I never know whether to cry, laugh, or let out a whoop of joy. I opted for a big smile with damp on the verge of tears of happiness eyes. The minor swelling in my left foot is from that ankle injury, not a DVT. The small dose of rat poison, aka coumadin must be doing the trick. I do know that I can not go back to doing stoopid things like sitting at the computer for 26 hours playing WoW, or going on all day drives. With just a little caution I should be able to avoid getting more. Not to mention yet again; it's the coumadin stoopid. I can happily continue taking 2.5 mg forever, and being careful about not sitting still for too long.
What a great day!

No comments: