Sunday, January 24, 2010

A WEEK TO REMEMBER

I will freely admit that I have been amiss about posting lately. Let's just blame that on WoW, shall we? That game can really suck you in.
Last week was actually one to write home about! I'd been wanting to see my orthopedist to get my butt shot again with his magic cocktail of pain killers, but, couldn't face going alone. Golan and I cooked up a plan to get me to the echo Doppler ultra sound on Monday, and him to his post op check up in Tiberius and later the next day, me to the butt shot. It worked quite well as plans like that sometimes do. I was told that my Doppler test was set for 1140 and we left early just in case. We got there an hour early, or so I thought. It turned out that the appointment was really for 1040, and we were a few minutes early for even that. The truly amazing thing was that I found a parking space as close to the entrance as is possible. Any closer, and we would have been inside! Wouldn't you know it? There was a problem with the paper work (typical) but a quick phone call to the clinic had the right one there by fax within minutes. Those ultra sounds are so routine that there is absolutely nothing to say about them. I had it, we left. Part of the deal was that we would stop at the hospice where an ex girlfriend of Golan's is dying. I prepared as much reading material as I could on my character at WoW so that I'd be happily occupied while waiting for Golan. He came out after an hour as promised and we headed off to find lunch. As it was raining, I opted to eat my lunch in the car while he ate his inside. Messing with wheelies in the rain just isn't worth it when all you want is a quick lunch, then, get home before the foot swells up. We made it just in time, and I put that stoopid foot up the minute we got in. Peg had left me huge 'punishment' in the living room. He tends to do that when my schedule changes and I'm gone longer than he thinks I should be. I ignored it, and rested up for a while.
Day two of the plan also went like clock work. We got Golan to his post op check up at Tiberius on time (he had two cysts removed from his lower lip, and was waiting for the biopsy reprt too. It was benign). He came out before I got much reading done (do you have any idea how much stuff there is on the interweb about the characters on WoW?) and, as we had 4 hours to kill before my appointment, decided to get some lunch in Acre which is an ancient city on the coast. Way back when I was young, healthy and strong, a friend and I used to walk to the harbor in Acre to lok at the view, shop and eat some great hummus. The key word is walk. I had my very first panic attack ever trying to drive there. The streets are very narrow and no has any patience for someone going slowly. I ended up telling Golan to just direct me out of there, which he did, and we headed for the next place up the coast. We drove by the waterfront, but nothing was open, so we kind of headed away from there. I suddenly saw an un numbered cripple parking space and stopped in it for a few minutes. I had decided that no ancient city traffic was going to stop me from havin lunch where my friend and I used to go, and told Golan that I need a few minutes to get my head around going back there. I swear, I have rarely seen anyone laugh so hard after I said that. He even got me laughing so hard I thought I'd never stop. Long story short; it worked. I got my view of the stormy sea and hummus, with plenty of time to get to the clinic for my shot. Again we were early and had to wait, as he only gets there at 1600. Due to the fortunate timing, I was first in. He had a full list, so, chit chat was minimal. He did say how great the new slimmer me looks. For the shot I need to lie on my stomach. I haven't done that since 1992, but with a lot of help from the nurse I managed it after she untangled my legs which I had some how spaghettisyzed. (don't ask). The doc had to probe around a bit to find the nerve bundle, and the relief from the pain was as close to instantaneous as can be. I did cripple ballet exercises for a few minutes, and with but lingering twinges, headed for home. By the time we got there, the residual pain in my hip was gone. Talk about a medical bulls eye! Guess what I found in the living room again? Yup! More Peg punishment. Again, I ignored it, planning to pick up the bigger pieces in the morning and letting the cleaning lady wassh up the drier harder parts.
When I woke up in the morning, I didn't have to do the whole take the oxy, wait, then, get up ceremony. Not only was the leg ok. The lower back pain was gone as well. I am having a hard time finding the words to express the wonder of it all. Now, all I have to do is keep track of how long it lasts this time. I have decided that even if it only lasts a month or so, it's well worth getting my butt shot that often.
I pretty much stayed in for the rest of the week. The cleaning lady came as planned, but wasn't really all there. I told her to spill soapy (floor soap) water on the hard parts, then, do the stuff she does before she washes the floor. She kind of didn't and I wasn't really paying attention. She took the bag of kitchen trash/garbage out of it's bin, but didn't replace it. She washed the floor, then, happily left without taking out the trash. She left that kitchen bag right next to Peg's chair. Well, yeah, of course he got into it and ate a bunch of raunchy stuff, then, squitted all over the nice clean floor. Ballistic? Who me? Record breaking understatement. The smell was so bad that I just cleaned it up myself. It wasn't really his fault that time. Boy, was I mad. I decided to wait until the next morning to tell her boss about it. Cool down time is good. I really don't know where her head was, but it for sure wasn't on her job. I also had to put all the dishes she'd 'washed' back in the sink to do over again. I'm far from a sterile freak, but, what was left on the plates was too much, even for me.
Last week was quite the week. Things are a little more settled down now, and I can go have some fun at my new game.

No comments: