Thursday, January 14, 2010

NEW RULES TO LIVE BY

Having dodged the DVT=go to hospital bullet, I have come up with a few new rules to live by. But, before I get to the rules; a bit about being luckier than I probably deserve. Way back when they first diagnosed the first DVT, the docs recommended that I start wearing pressure stockings. I was quite willing to wear them. There was just one little problem. They didn't fit on my legs, and I was in no mood to mess around with a made to order thing that cost at least NIS 2000, and would take months to get here. But things have changed since then, I've just had my fourth run in with DVTs and I've lost just over 60 lbs. I decided that the new plan of action would be to get the stockings, have an echo doppler untra sound done on my legs and see the vascular surgeon who cut my neck open. I am now wearing the stockings and have an appointment for the echo doppler on Monday. So far, so good. That brings us to the new rules.
1) stand up every hour and do cripple ballet exercises.
2)take a half hour break after every 2 hours to put feet up.
3) do not under any circumstances even begin to think about not taking the next DVT straight to hospital.
So, there we have them. My three new rules to live by. How many times can anyone coulnt on sheer blind dumb luck to get over a DVT? I got lucky once, and I'm not taking another chance.

No comments: