Tuesday, January 12, 2010

BLIND DUMB LUCK

There are times when I wonder if I will ever learn. I did something so stoopid Friday night that I am amazed at myelf. I got so caught up in WoW that I stayed at the computer until almost 0300. I woke up very late Seturday morning with another DVT. Just what I didn't need. I did stay in bed for most of the day, with only very short bathroom trips and even quicker stops here to answer e mails. I even got myself ready to go to hospital like a good girl. I was so slow Sunday morning that I missed morning clinic hours. "Fine", I told myself. "Get your butt in gear earlier and go tomorrow." I was actually up and ready to go when Savta called and said that he'd like to meet up with me and we decided to meet at the clinic. I got a little delayed in leaving thanks to a semi emergency loo stop. I was feeling more than a little crap and decided to not get dressed and headed out in my house coat.On the way I remembered that it was Monday and my doc does not work on Mondays."Ok" Thought me to myself, "I'll just wait another day so I won't have to explain the whole mess to the new doc at the clinic" Savta and I met up at about the half way point between Gimp House and the clinic, and came back here to sit in the sun and chat for a while. The very first thing he told me was that I didn't look at all well. No kidding? So, there we sat in the sun and chattered away, then, I stayed in the sun and chatted with a neighbor for a while, then, went to get the mail. I was feeling much better by the time I got in.
Today I did manage to get the clinic in the nick of time and the doc and I decided that I could skip the hospital this time and came up with a plan. If I have lost enough weight to fit into a stock pressure stocking size, I'll start using them like I was supposed to a year ago, and that I would get an echo doppler ultrasound done on my legs and go see the vascular doc who did my endarterctomy. He also suggested that I go to the store that sells the stockings to be sure they'd fit before giving me the authorization to buy them. I did exactly that, and the owner said, "No problem, they will fit you just fine" and complimented me on my weight loss. Little does he know how I did lose all this weight. I'm so glad it's gone even if the method is highly unrecommended. So, rather than wait until tomorrow, I'll go back to the clinic at 1600 to get the authorization. Might was well get that sorted as soon as possible.
I am well aware that I was just plain lucky this time, and have already told myself that next time, there will be no fooling around. I will take myself off to hospital and not count on blind dumb good luck. I will also never again stay at the computer for so many hours. That was just about the stupidest thing I have ever done. It's not like I don't know any better. I do, and will not do that again. Other than that, not much of note has happened.

No comments: