Friday, January 25, 2008

A LONG DAYS NIGHT

Things are going pretty much my way at Zabreb. Brian Joubert didn't get gold in the Men's. I don't know him personally, but, I'm for sure not a fan.I think my problem with him is that he looks too much like Tom Cruise, and him I do not like. I was thrilled that Thomas Verner won the gold. Right now figure skating is at a stage where the youngsters are on their way up and the electrifying excitement of the performance of a Yagudin or Plushenko is mising. That feeling will be back in a few years. This group of youngsters just has to grow into themselves.
The Ladies events start tonight, and I'll miss my favorites, Slutzkaya and Sokolova among others. The latter might still be competing, but I'm not sure. Slutzkaya is a special favorite of mine. The Original Dance is on tonight and I can't hardly wait.
I love this period in the skating world when the youngsters are making their mark and starting move up in the ranks. To me it's much more exciting than watching the 'elderly' skaters battle it out amongst themselves yet again. Just thinking of what they've done to get there fills me with awe. They work so hard for so long. The very best of them also have such an obvious love of the sport. You can spot those skaters the very first second they step on the ice. It's an attitude you can't miss, especially if you had it yourself.Sergei Sakhanovski has it in bucket loads. I will never ever forget the first time I saw him on the ice in Metula. That love of skating filled him and the whole rink as well. It truely is palpable, and you either have it, or you don't. Oh, how I miss being able to skate. Of course I miss being to walk, and dozens of other normal everyday things, but it's the not being able to skate that really hurts. I am extremely thankful that at least I can watch the major competitions on TV and still feel every single move made on the ice. It's a bit tiring to feel it so intensely but I wouldn't give up a minute of it for anything other than to go out on the ice in my own skates.
These late nights are making mornings more difficult than usual. It's really hard to get in gear after only 4 hours of sleep. Now, if I could just let the TIVO record it and watch it the next day it might be easier, but, I can't not watch it live while backing it up on the TIVO.
Tonight I have Original Dance and our couple are most likely going to end up in the top 10, if not the top 5. And the Ladies short program is on tonight as well. The Ladies finish tomorrow and then I'll have 2 months to rest up for Worlds in Sweden. I can hardly wait.

No comments: