Sunday, March 07, 2010

YES IT IS THE LITTLE THINGS IN LIFE

This morning I got to enjoy one of those seemingly insignificant things that really does make a differnce in how the day starts. I used up the last of the coffee in the jar in the late afternoon and started looking forward to opening a new jar. There are few things that smell as good as newly opened jar of coffee. Among them is newly mown grass, citrus blossoms in spring, and, of course lilacs blooming. I even have a sort of ceremony for openening the new jar. I open the cover very carefully, take of the inner seal with a very sharp knife, then smell it while the water comes almost to a boil. Then I bend a bit over the jar so as to sniff it while putting that first spoonful into the mug. I keep the spoon in the jar because there is a bit of a scarcity of spoons at Gimp House, so into the jar goes the spooon which stirs up the coffee again realeasing that most wonderful of scents You do know that boiling water scalds the coffee, don't you? Well, it does. Then, it's off to computer to do e mail until the coffee is cool enough to drink. I do take a sip or two while it's still way too hot just to savor that fresh brand new flavor, usually scalding my mouth. But, never badly. I'm just in a hurry to taste that wonderful flavor again.It's not something I want to over analyse, it's just such a nice thing that I am thankful to still be here to enjoy. The sad thing is that it's only this great for the first cup from new jar. Then, the delicious anticipation of opening the next new jar starts.
If you are a coffee lover, as I am, try using water that has only almost boiled and you will see for yourself the difference in the flavor of the coffee. If you use a coffee maker, take note that the water does not come to a full boil. It really does make a difference.
So, there we have a wonderful start to a new day that starts a new week. I can but hope that the rest of the day and week will be as good as the start this morning.
I have hope now that Savta's computer genius son will be able to sort the e mail on *my* computer. My geek is a hardware genius, but I'm actually better at software than he is, which is a bit of a cosmic joke as I always trouble getting my e mail programs to work right. At least I got it right on this one, though I have no idea how that happened.
We are going to have a scorching hot week, or so say the weather folks. In fact they told everyone to get the a/c ready. Yeah, right. It takes a long time to heat up the buildings here enough to need the a/c on cooling, even when it's over 80 outside. In fact, it was hot outside yesterday, but still very cool inside. It will be quite enough if I don't have use the a/c for heat this week.
My online stroke survivors group has some very very knowlegeble people who give the best advice on so many matters that affect us in a wide variety of things. When we five got back from the protest ride on scooters to Jerusalem, we promised ourselves a nice cold beer to celebrate. As I came home and pretty much went straight off for the first of seven hospitalisations, and came out on antibiotics, which do not like any kind of alcohol, all I could do was joing the guys while they had their celebratory beers and watch them. After every hospitalization, I asked if I could please have that beer now? And was told in no uncertain terms that I could not. They never explained why, just let me have another resounding no. So, here I am, a year and a half later still dreaming of that beer and heading right into a hot hot week, when a cold one is almost mandatory. I decided to ask the experts on the stroke survivor list if they maybe knew what the problem might be, and at last got the answer. It is not a very good idea for coumadin users to drink and it do odd things with oxy as well, but the general concensus was that one probably would be ok. So, The Five will gather this week to have *my* beer in celbration of an event that happened a year and a half ago. Wedenesday is supposed to be the hottest day of the week, so, check in on Thursday for a full report on how that long delayed beer was. So many wonderful things this week. Life is truly wonderful. Enjoy every minute of it for as long as you can. If I can, so can you!

3 comments:

Peppermint said...

Lucie,
Where are you?

Bri said...

I love how you describe coffee. I absolutly love the smell when my parents open a new package it wakes me up in the morining so well.

http://makingitinalaska-bri.blogspot.com/

Purplegimp said...

Bri,
Nice to meet you, and thank you for your kind words. There truly are very few things that can compete with that most wonderful of scents; fresh coffee. I'm already in anticipation mode for the next new jar!