Monday, March 31, 2008

THE TRIP

This is the short version!
Today was almost fun. The plan was to leave early, get there early because more times than not, there's trouble with the paperwork or no parking (same damn inner city teaching hospital). My appointment was for 1300, and a miracle happened! There was parking space about as close as you can the door. When I left it was cloudy, but no rain. The rain started when I got to Haifa and there was a nice big puddle right where I had to step to jackknife myself out of the car. The cloth slipper I had on the pressure sore foot came off, and there's no way to put it back on when I'm standing. I was parked right outside a security booth and the sweety came out and helped me put the wheely together. I plonked myself into and rolled in, and signed in, over an hour early. The paperwork was ok, and I decided that I needed a fag which were in the car, so, out I rolled into the pouring rain and the same guy got them out of the car for me. After my oxeegen break I rolled back in and they called me for the exam! I was out there well before 1300 and on the way to my sawbones to get shot. He was supposed to get there and start seeing patients at 1230, but I got there before him, and he took me first, gave me the scrits and I went to the in clinic pharmacy to get the cocktail. When I got back up to his floor there was a ruckus in the nurse's space so I had to wait. The nurse came out and gestured for me to come in, took my vials, the orders and disappeared with a doctor. Then an administrator showed up and they called an ambulance. The ambulance arrived and the stretcher took up most of the front room. They loaded the patient onto it and parked him right next o me while they finished the paperwork. By then my doc had joined the party. The nurse mixed my cocktail and while my doc was pulling down my pants to find the 'trigger spot' he and the nurse talked about the guy. He was an attempted suicide. I got shot, did some cripple ballet and headed home. It rained most of the way and I knew that Harley's seat would be wet when I arrived, and so it was. Damn right I sat dab smack in the puddle and drove up on to the ramp. I was a little afraid that he would pull his 'won't move an the rain' trick, but he was just fine! That's why I staggered to the computer with a wet butt. I was drenched to the bone for the Doppler, and my feet are still wet. And my whole body is tired. Where O where are the days when I go full steam ahead for 36 hours and not blink?
I'm taking my tired abused body to bed. I have a feeling that I'll have an early night tonight!




No comments: