Saturday, March 15, 2008

IT'S OVER IT'S ALL OVER

I'm having a hard time believing it, but, it is, indeed over. Except for the getting all of his stuff out. But, he's gone and Peg and I can get back to our nice quiet (ahem) lives as dog and human gimp. Dem Der took his phone and went out quietly on Sunday morning, then called to announce that he'd be staying up there on his mattress on the floor and figure out a way to get down here for the rest of his stuff. He did in fact come on Wednesday and take a fair anount out of the shed. His fridge is still there and a few more things, and the room he was in still has stuff all over and there are a few things in the 'liberry'/shelter. He has until next weekend to get the rest out or I will and I don't mean that I'll take it to him. I mean I'll get it out.
He was only here for four or so months, but it felt like infinity. It's not like he was a constant irritant, but just his being here was enough to remind me that I like living alone. Then, he made a really huge mistake. Two in fact. The first was asking if he could borrow one of my TVs. Knowing how his mind works with stuff like that, he was thinking that I have three sets, all of which are better than his old one, so, I won't miss it. Yes, I do have three TV sets, two of which I seldom use. But they are mine. I paid good money for them, and if I want one in my bomb shelter and another in my guest room for the occassional guest, there they will stay. His next mistake was to try and wheedele me into putting his cable subscription on my bank account. Not bloody likely, not even for an hour. Dumb ass actually had the nerve to hang up on me when I said no. He did call a few minutes later to tell me he was on the way here to get his stuff. And he tried again while he was here. I told him that I don't need a reason, I'm just not doing it. Hells bells. He lived here for four months rent and utility free, and still couldn't get even a little bit ahead of himself. He's already dead broke and is starting to borrow from just about everyone he knows. Then he has to pay it all back on the 28th and it starts all over again.
I can safely say that I won't be going down that road with him. I feel bad for him, but, he really doesn't do anything to help himself and he spends on things he doesn't need. Just stupid stuff like those rotisseried chickens he buys at the grocery store for more than a chicken would cost, fresh or frozen. And he goes through paper towels like no one I've ever seen, and toilet paper. In two months we went through what for me is almost a years supply. And water, he uses it as if he's trying to use up the whole country's supply in one go. I'm scared to death of getting my next water bill.
Yes, I am now thankful that it's over and things will get back to their previous usage levels, and that I have my glorious aloneness back. I'm not sorry I did it because there was just no way I could leave him out on the street or begging a bed for the night after he got evicted. Right now I'm not sure if I'd do it again for him or anyone else in the future, but it's still to close o actual trauma to decide anything like that now.
He now has a home of his own, and I'm happily alone in mine, and we didn't kill each other. I guess that's something!

No comments: