Sunday, November 22, 2009

THE ADDICTION PROGRAM

My addiction training program worked out very nicely and my pharmacist said that he wished more people used it. According to him, most folks just want to get rid of their pain, and don't give any thought to what they are getting into.
*I* on the other hand, thought about it long and hard.(cue applause) I also didn't want to go through what went through back when we were looking for an NSAID and every single one I tried gave me impossible side affects without stopping the pain until we found that Naxcyn (naproxin) did the job. The fact that it eventually gave me a nice peptic ulcer is what lead me to trying several non NSAIDs, none of which worked for more than a dose or two. That's when I started thinking about moving into the world of addictive pain murderers, and asked the doc for one of the oxys. He gave me a prescription for 5mg of oxycontin, which most pharmacies don't keep on hand. The one I went to said that they would have some for me the next day. I promptly decided to take Naxcyn until it came in, which I did, figuring that one or two couldn't do much more damage to my stomach, and that I might finally get a good night's sleep. I did take one that night and the pain was gone within half an hour and I slept quite well that night.I took another in the morning, and again, no hurting. I picked up the 5mg and took the first one at around 1500, then, read the little mini book that comes with it. I should have done that first. It's quite specific about taking them at 12 hour intervals. So, I got to to delay taking the next one until I got the timing right. In fact, I started taking just one a day, instead of two. You really should work your way up the dosage ladder very slowly and pay close attention to your body and it's reactions. That first dose kept the pain down to a low roar until the next morning, and, most importantly, I didn't seem to have any bad reactions to it. I knew it would be ok. I finished the 5mg box in 11 days because after the first day, I decided to try the two a day regimen like the doc prescribed.
I asked him to up it to 10mg on the grounds that the pharmacy always has 10mg and higher in stock, and that it would wonderful to get rid of even more of the pain and I wasn't having any bad reactions to it. So, after the doc had a quick phone consultation with the pharmacist, who told him that he really didn't know when he'd get the 5mg in, and that he thought it was a very bad idea to have me taking Naxcyn while waiting, he agreed, and I went down to get it.
Thing about pain is that it has a purpose. It's to tell us that something is wrong. I was hoping that the 10mg would get the pain down to a very dull roar so that if anything else went wrong, as things tend to do with me, I'd know it. Pain killers don't discrimminate. They knock out pain, and too many times you can miss something important because you can't feel it. Right. The 10mg gets the pain right down to where I want it. I can feel that the pain is still there, but it really is much less and lets me get through the day easily and I am sleeping ever so much better at night. What a relief that is after the last year and a half!
So, my addiction training program was a great success. I have the pain under control, my body has not had any bad reactions to it, and I haven't had that buzz or high others had warned me about. And my pharmacist ( a great guy in any event) loved The Plan and said that he intends to start recommending it to newcomers to world of narcotics.
Works for me! And I highly recommend it to anyone contemplating entering the world of junkydom!

4 comments:

Pepperming said...

You've entered the world of Rush Limbaugh while he was on them for his bad back. Don't know how many he was taking.

Your program sounds wonderful for those in the addiction process and gives good, sound advice. I would follow it if I wasn't already in my own program of pain killing.

So far percocet is doing it for me, but like you 5mg did not get rid of the pain completely and I had to repeat the doses much more than I would like. So I went to 10mg which gets rid of the pain almost entirely, but just enough pain to know it is still there,thus keeping me from doing stupid things one would normally do thinking all the pain is gone and suddenly you become wonder woman who can leap tall buildings, squat or take a shower by oneself. I have noticed though that the 10mg is not working as good as it first did. So, I think I would have to go up the ladder to 15mg to feel the goodness I was feeling at first. A complete night of sleep at first, but now that I'm used to the 10mg, the sleep is interrupted once again.

For my addiction program I would have to move on further. Will be waiting for your next installment in the Addiction program.

Purplegimp said...

Pepp,
Oh, that's right. I forgot that they tried to make a big scandal over him taking pain killers. It's obvious that they know nothing about chronic pain and it's debilitating effects on people. Of course I have a few ideas on how to take care of that!
You seem to be doing just fine with your own addiction program. Great minds do think alike, after all.

Anonymous said...

A narcotic will firstly address the pain. If you take too much you will experience the "high", which you do not want to do because it increases the craving for a higher dose. My advice: just take enough to take the rough edges of the pain. My narc is codeine, and I use a controlled daily dose under the guidance of a very competent and likeable Chinese-Canadian doc.
whitegoose8

Purplegimp said...

W.G.
Yuppers! Exactly the point of my addiction Training Program. It's working just fine so far and the 10mg is keeping the pain at exactly the level I want.