Saturday, July 12, 2008

SOMETIMES IT'S ALMOST TOO MUCH

I guess I really don't understand people at all. At least it feels that way sometimes. This has been one of those crazy weeks when I've been to busy to do almost anything other than work on the project at hand. The demonstration is continuing in Jerusalem, but not getting very far. The other group (the one that has decided that it represents ALL disabled on it's own, has been blocking us at every turn. They can get away with it for now as they are backed by The Histadrut; The Union. Unfortunately for them, it doesn't quite work like that. They have managed to push through legislation that is potentially disastrous for us, but there is still time to defeat it.
There is a group of 'do-gooders' that says they want to help us get our caravan back on the road. So far they have only hindered us, but after the fuss I made at the last meeting, it looks like they might just come through. We have another meeting with them tomorrow and I intend to tell them to either put up or shut up. What they seem not to understand is that if they provide us with the truck and generator that we really do need, all the rest will fall into place. We do not need to have service stations arranged ahead of time because I already have promises for 4 pairs of batteries that can be charged while we are moving and switched when one pair runs out. That will save many long hours of time that we would otherwise have to spend waiting for our own batteries to charge. It really is that simple. Another simple thing is that YES, Israelis can be counted on to help us as we go. On our previous attemp, we were greated at the service area from which we were eventually turned back, by a donation of mineral water, chocolate milk drink, and fruit, as well as the coffee shop where several of us had coffee telling us that the bill was settled and wishing us good luck. I have no doubt at all the support will grow the further we go.
During the last meeting we were subjected to a very condecending speech about the media. Yeah, right. I'd like to see their so called expert do in a week what I did in one day. We had cameras from every TV news station, 3 radio interviews along the way, and one after we got back and interviews and photos from the major newspapers. I rather doubt we need their expert. The largest electronic newspaper in the country has adopted a picture of us as their default 'gimp' picture! So much for their expert. We are a group of 5 adults who know exactly what we are doing and how we want to do it. We do not need an organization of arrogant know it alls talking down to us, and trying to tell us that what we accomplished on our first attempt was a failure. It was not a failure, it was a resounding success even, or possibly, because, we got turned back so soon after we started. All we need to finish are a truck with a rear door lift and a generator or someone to provide them.
We'll know by this time tomorrow if we can go.
The other issue is that my daughter in law brought her mother and sister along for my first meeting with the baby, which was not really fair. I haven't seen her since then, but they are in great demand, and I strongly suspect that my son's sister will be there today with her 3, so, I'm staying safely inside to avoid any unpleasantness.
On the upside, Dem Der has definitly lost his mind. He actually said some nice things about my writing ability, and the fact that I post so much typing with only one hand. What he doesn't know yet, is that his foot had better get well PDQ as he's on for dog sitting when/if we go wheeling to Jerusalem again. Lucky for him that I have my sources in his building and KNOW for a fact that he hasn't been out for over 2 weeks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to hear you are charging on. Not that I expected anything different!!
That baby is adorable!! Her beautiful head reminds me of my girls when they were that age and made me want to pick her up and hug her!
Best wishes for all your efforts!
Huggggggggggggg Marge

Purplegimp said...

Oh, are we ever!
I'll be posting the details shortly.