Monday, July 14, 2008

MIRACLES DO HAPPEN

Gob smacked doesn't quite cover it. On Saturday I woke up to a dead digibox and no TV. I called the cable company hoping to schedule a techie for the morning, but the gal told me that they are changing software and their computers are down. Right. I decided to call again first thing in the morning. At 0845 there was a horrendous banging on my door, and when I finally lurched over there to open it, a cable techie was standing there! As the computers were down they all went over various and assorted reports and were going around fixing problems that they found on the reports. He came here because the interweb modem was behaving badly, and YES, he had a brand new digibox for me. And I didn't even have to call! You'll have to trust me on this; never ever has a techie in this country arrived to fix anything without a whole 'to do' before hand!
Golan wandered in at some poing and I mentioned that drain to the sink was backed up. He took the whole thing apart, but it was solidly backed up. I called the public housing 'fix it' folks and they said they'd send someone right over. I told her that I have a meeting at 1400, and she replied that they'd be here in plenty of time. Yeah, right. The guy arrived just as I was about to leave. Luckily, he found the problem and fixed it quickly, so I was only 10 minutes late to the meeting. It was a meeting with the people from the organization that wants to sponsor our roll to Jerusalem. After apologising nicely, I asked if they were serious about helping us, or were they just going to waste more time by talking around in circles, and added that if it were the latter, I had better things to do. The head 'plant' (a play on the name of their organization in Hebrew) indicated that they want to move ahead, so I stayed. The two people who were there, but aren't part of our group were more than a little taken aback by my forcefulness, but, it's nothing to do with them as they aren't going with us in any even. A question was asked about other gimps starting with or joining up with us and I said quite simply "We are The Five and even if the whole country joins us, we will still be The Five, and it's not open to discussion!" We managed to set some guidelines for our next meeting which will be at a hotel not far from here, as the 'head plant' seems to have caught on to the fact that we were not comfortable meeting at the home of the couple who very kindly (with only a few ulterior motives) let us meet at their place. It's taking longer than I'd hoped, but, they do seem to be serious about helping us, so, we'll most likely be heading out again on the 28 or so. I had to giggle at the head plant's reactions to some of my more forceful statements, but towards the end of the meeting he was very complimentary about my determination and knowlege of gimp issues.
WATCH OUT. THE FIVE WILL SOON BE ON THE ROAD! And do I ever have some surprise plans for the trip. And I'm not telling anyone before hand. This is going to be so much fun.
It seems the cable guy didn't sort the modem issue. I'll have to get on to them again!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Count your blessing Franne dahlink!!
BTW how is Dem Der doing these days

Purplegimp said...

Oh, I do count my blessings daily and as a part of my never ending conversation with The Lord.
Dem Der is ok except that his leg problem has come back and he can't leave his flat.

Anonymous said...

I laughed at the thought of "the cable guy" in Israel. (couldn't help it) Dare I say Olmert & co do not have anythng to do with tech problems. Here at least a person could always blame Bush for any and all inconveninces. Good going. On the road again. Well I know they'll be more to come. So its fitting with the cable guy to say Git'er done. (need a slogan?)

Purplegimp said...

Oh dear. There seems to be a gaping hole in myknowlege of movies. I've heard of it, of course, but never seen it! I blame Olmert &co. for everything, and I can usually find find a way to trace whatever it is back to him.
We actually do have a slogan. It doesn't translate well, but it means,
Crippled is one who doesn't care. I've had a sticker to that effect on the back of my scooter seat since 1999 because it says it all.