Monday, June 16, 2008

WHY AM I STILL AT HOME?

I really should be in Jerusalem demonstrating by now, but I just can't seem to get it together enough to up and go. Not being able to leave Peg is more than just an excuse. He's old, and deserves better than that from his human. Orna is out for obvious reasons and the other neighbors either can't be trusted, or are scared of him. Dem Der could do it, but he's playing the "I don't feel good card" and that well and truly pisses me off. It's not like Peg requires hours of care. All he needs is fresh water, food, and to be put out on his chain in the morning, while keeping an eye out that no one bothers him. Not exactly hard labor. Oh well, I can just stay here and start sending e mails like I did last time to Jewish organizations that contribute lots of money to Israel in English speaking countries. That worked nicely in 2002 and I still have the addresses on a disk!
What are after this time?
Let's do a little maths and see what we get.
Minimal monthly expenses:
130 average rent in housing authority flats
75 average water
80 property tax
400 electric
150 phone
199 cable
75 cooking gas
300 meds
That's a grand monthly total od 1409 and we haven't even had a bite to eat or left the house. A basic monthy benefit is just under 2000 which leaves us the whopping sum of just under 600 to eat and leave the house. Ok, maybe the cable is not a necessity, but, come on,that's the very minimum basic package. The price of everything is rising by the day, while the benfits have been frozen for the last 10 years. There are many more who receive the basic benefit than who receive the other benefits for the more severly disabled. Personally, I'm ok, or would be if I hadn't let everyone and their uncle steal me blind. But I'm still on the borderline of ok. It's for the ones who have to decided if they want to eat or take their meds that I'm up in arms about.

No comments: